All content copyright to Badgertails [K C Badger] unless otherwise credited. Powered by Blogger.

Pages

Basic Brownie Recipe

by - Monday, April 08, 2013


A good base recipe for your own adaptations
Brownies, brownies everywhere!
Haven't we all gone a little mad for creme egg brownies this Easter? I made my first batch on Easter Monday and was amazed at just how well they turned out. Only thing is, I know my sister and I both struggled with cutting the creme eggs cleanly in half. I even used the sharpest knife that I own, my Santoku, (one that I'm usually too scared to use!) and the eggs still crumbled. Does anyone have any tips to share?

Anyway, I wrote a new recipe amongst all the chocolate excitement, and this is a good starting point for anyone wanting to try brownie-baking. This makes a wonderful, all-round brownie. It has the squidgy centre along with the earthquake surface, and is really, really simple to make...


  Basic Brownies  

What you will need:

6½ oz unsalted butter
6½ oz milk chocolate (I used Cadbury's Dairy milk)
3 oz plain flour
1½ oz cocoa powder
10 oz golden caster sugar
3 large eggs


What to do:

Start by pre-heating your oven to 160° (325° F, Gas Mark 3) and grease an 8" square tin. 

Melt the butter and chocolate together in a bain marie or in a microwave. (Nb: don't be tempted to substitute your butter for margarine or low-fat spread, the brownies will turn into a dodgy cake).

Meanwhile, crack the 3 eggs into a mixing bowl or food processor, and add in the golden caster sugar. Whisk or whizz on maximum speed, until the mixture becomes paler and doubles in size. (About 4 minutes is a good guideline - but your set up may require different timing).

Pour in the melted chocolate and butter mixture, and blend again to turn it a light brown.

Sift in the flour and cocoa, and whizz just enough to ensure the two mixtures are combined. If not using a processor, gently fold the sieved powders in with a wooden spoon.

Now, pour all of the mixture into your greased baking tin, and and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a knife pressed into the centre comes out clean.




To remove from the tin, gently run a knife round the edge of the tin, cut brownies into squares and carefully lift out. Serve with milk, a napkin and a smile.




And there it is! Easy, peasy, and oh so pleasing!

Do let me know if you decide to follow this recipe, as I always love to hear how you get on.

Enjoy,



You May Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for stopping by!